Sometimes, you just need a praise break, Christian Woman! Hey, I have been somewhat tired lately. My little one is recovering from Strep, and frankly…I’m feeling a little “draggy,” too. You know how it is. You feel tired, weak, and metaphorically speaking, just plain stinky. These are just life’s struggles – the kind we all encounter from time to time. But then, God does something that makes you feel renewed! A spiritual vitamin that leaves you feeling terrific physically, emotionally, and spiritually. And it all begins with worship! That’s why I decided to write this post on the 7 benefits of praising God in hard times!
You have to worship your way through tough times. I genuinely believe worship is the key to coming through and coming out of trials with your joy and peace intact.
Worshiping when you feel down or discouraged as a Christian woman can be a profoundly transformative and healing experience. First, let me show you how I’ve organized this post:
Table of Contents
“In Tough Times: Why Worship and
the 7 Benefits of Praising God Are My Lifelines”
When life gets tough, turning to worship can be like a soothing balm for the soul. Hey, Sis, it’s not about pretending everything’s perfect but rather finding solace and strength in the midst of chaos. Worshiping God when the going gets rough is like having a heartfelt conversation with your best friend, who just happens to be the Creator of the universe. Hello!
It’s a safe space to pour out your fears, doubts, and frustrations. It’s a reminder that you’re not alone in the struggle. You’re never alone.
There’s something about worship music, prayer, and the words of Scripture that can lift your spirit.
Worship shifts your focus from the chaos around you to the peace within you. It’s like a reset button for your heart and mind.
When life is hard, worship can remind you that there’s a bigger picture, a grander plan beyond your current struggles. It makes your problem shrink as you focus on your massive, all-powerful God.
Indeed, worshipping God is an anchor that helps you weather the storms of life with grace and hope.
As I type this, I am in the trial of a lifetime, and worship is my mainstay. It wasn’t the first thing I did. Yes, I panicked at first. But, thankfully, the Holy Spirit meets us where we are. He met me and reminded me of the power of Christian music.
First, He did so by leading me to the scripture below from 1 Samuel 16:14-23 (it is in the English Standard Version):
14 Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and a harmful spirit from the Lord tormented him.15 And Saul’s servants said to him, “Behold now, a harmful spirit from God is tormenting you.
16 Let our lord now command your servants who are before you to seek out a man who is skillful in playing the lyre, and when the harmful spirit from God is upon you, he will play it, and you will be well.”
17 So Saul said to his servants, “Provide for me a man who can play well and bring him to me.”
18 One of the young men answered, “Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing, a man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a man of good presence, and the Lord is with him.”
19 Therefore Saul sent messengers to Jesse and said, “Send me David your son, who is with the sheep.”
20 And Jesse took a donkey laden with bread and a skin of wine and a young goat and sent them by David his son to Saul.
21 And David came to Saul and entered his service. And Saul loved him greatly, and he became his armor-bearer.
22 And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, “Let David remain in my service, for he has found favor in my sight.”
23 And whenever the harmful spirit from God was upon Saul, David took the lyre and played it with his hand. So Saul was refreshed and was well, and the harmful spirit departed from him.
(I bolded the text in verse 23)
See the power of worship. Even if it is on, it can soothe your spirit.
That is why I recommend you put on your favorite worship song, close your eyes, and let it all out. You’ll be amazed at how worshiping in the hard times can bring you comfort and renewal.
Before I share the 7 benefits of praising God in hard times, let me tell you how to do it.
Steps to praising God in hard times:
- Acknowledge Your Feelings: Acknowledging your emotions and not suppressing them is essential to wholeness. Look, God understands our pain and struggles. Start by offering your honest feelings in prayer. Tell Him all about it. Pour out your heart to God, as the Psalms often do, expressing your sorrow, frustration, or whatever you’re going through.
- Seek Solitude and Reflection: Find a quiet, comfortable space where you can be alone with God. This is like the “positioning yourself” Priscilla Shire talks about in the 5 Ps of Bible Study. I wrote about it here. Powerful! Anyway, take time for reflection and self-care. In solitude, you can pour out your heart, meditate on Scripture, and listen to God’s comforting voice.
- Listen to Worship Music: Worship songs can uplift your spirit and provide a channel for expressing your emotions. Put on your favorite worship music and sing along, or simply let the lyrics wash over you. I already told you that above. 🙂
- Read Uplifting Scripture: Dive into the Bible, specifically verses that offer comfort and hope. Sometimes, doing this gives you a reason to worship and experience the 7 benefits of praising God in hard times. See, verses from Psalms, such as Psalm 34:18 (“The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit”), can be exceptionally comforting.
- Pray and Seek God’s Presence: Prayer is a powerful way to connect with God, even in your lowest moments. Share your struggles, doubts, and needs with Him. Seek His guidance and comfort. Ask for His strength and peace.
- Journal Your Thoughts and Prayers: Writing down your thoughts, prayers, and reflections can help you process your emotions and experiences. Journaling is a way to draw closer to God and find clarity. I’m learning to do this more and more. I have an app that reminds me to journal. It’s the Rally app. It’s about more than journaling, it recognizes journaling as a form of self-care.
- Connect with Your Christian Community: Reach out to friends, family, or church community members. Share your struggles and request prayer support. Fellowship with other believers can be uplifting and reassuring.
- Serve Others: Sometimes, focusing on others can provide a sense of purpose and fulfillment. Consider volunteering or helping someone in need, as acts of service can be a form of worship.
- Practice Gratitude: Cultivate an attitude of gratitude by counting your blessings. Reflect on the good things in your life, and thank God for them. Gratitude can shift your perspective and bring joy even in difficult times.
- Attend Church Services or Gatherings: Whenever you feel ready, attending church services or gatherings can be a source of spiritual nourishment and communal support.
It’s okay to feel sad or have a hard time sometimes. God knows how you feel and is there for you. You can worship God and find strength in your faith even when you’re feeling weak.
Ready! Here they are! The 7 benefits of praising God in hard times:
- Emotional Release: When life gets tough, praising God can be like a pressure valve for your emotions. It allows you to release stress, anger, and sadness, offering relief and comfort.
Worshipping Jesus can be a profound emotional release for me. In my moments of worship, whether through prayer, song, or reflection, I often find a safe space to express my feelings and emotions. This act of surrendering, praising, and seeking solace in Jesus can provide a cathartic release of pent-up emotions, be they joy, sorrow, gratitude, or even pain. It’s a transformative experience where burdens can be laid down, and a sense of peace and emotional relief can be found in the loving presence of Jesus. Praise God!
- Perspective Shift: Praising God helps you see the bigger picture. It reminds you that there’s more to life than the current struggle, giving you hope for better days ahead.
You know, worship has this supernatural way of giving you a total shift in perspective. When you’re knee-deep in life’s craziness, stepping back to worship Jesus can be like putting on a new pair of glasses.
Suddenly, you start seeing things differently. Worshipping, whether through prayer, Christian meditation, or music, reminds you that life’s not just about the problems and the daily grind. It’s like a mental refresh button that helps you zoom out and remember the bigger picture. You realize there’s something greater than yourself at play, and it can be incredibly comforting to put your trust in His bigger plan, no matter how chaotic things might seem in the moment.
- Strength and Resilience: Praise can be your spiritual protein shake. Knowing that you’re not alone in this journey gives you the strength and resilience to face challenges head-on. Oh boy! Worship can give you so much strength! You cannot talk about the 7 benefits of praising God in hard times without talking about the Holy Ghost power you will get from praise!
You know, there’s something pretty amazing about worshiping Jesus. It’s like plugging into a power source for your soul. When life’s throwing curveballs, worship can be your secret weapon. It’s not about being the strongest or having all the answers; it’s about tapping into a strength that’s way bigger than us.
One of my go-to verses for this is Philippians 4:13 (NIV): “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” That’s like having a spiritual energy drink! When you worship Jesus, it’s not about being on your own; it’s about being in sync with a power greater than any challenge life can throw your way. It’s like a reminder that you’re not just surviving; you’re thriving. So, crank up your favorite worship song, let your heart sing, and tap into that divine strength that’s always there, ready to lift you up and carry you through the tough times.
- Connection: Praising God fosters a deeper connection with Him. I cannot say enough about how praising God through hard times is linked to feeling a close connection with the Lord. He feels so close when we worship. Connecting with Him is one of the sweetest of the 7 benefits of praising God in hard times! There have been times I felt like he literally stepped out of heaven to surround me with His presence as I worshipped Him and praised Him through my hard times.
- Gratitude Boost: When you praise God in tough times, you’re essentially counting your blessings. It shifts your focus from what’s wrong to what’s still right in your life. I know I continue to say this, but I had to include this one in my list of 7 benefits of praising God in hard times! It is so wonderful to praise him and be reminded of how powerful he is through song or through my verbal speech acknowledging into clearing his greatness. This is definitely one of the Best 7 benefits of praising God in hard times!!!!
- Peace Amidst Chaos: Even in the storm, praising God can bring a sense of peace. It’s like an anchor that keeps you steady when everything else feels chaotic. His peace will definitely encompass you when you worship Him. You see, worshipping Jesus is like creating a connection with Him (see #4) which is like plugging a plug into a peaceful outlet. It is so powerful.
- Inspiration to Others: Your praise can be a beacon of hope for those around you. Your resilience and trust in God’s plan can inspire others to do the same in their own hard times. And yes, I’m going to repeat it. This is another of the most critical 7 benefits of praising God in hard times! As you praise God through your hard times, you’re inspiring others to do the same! You’re setting a model or a template for how to get through difficult times! Remember, it’s not about you! It’s about Jesus and showing the world how strong and powerful our God is! Your worship can do that!
All in all, all of these are such important benefits to our worship in hard times. The funny thing is I could’ve listed a whole lot more!
Worshipers your way to dig yourself out of the deep hole. It invites God into your situation and into your very presence. What could be more powerful than that?
So, in those tough moments, don’t forget to turn to praise as a source of comfort, strength, and inspiration. It’s a powerful tool for navigating the storms of life. 🙌✨
Go on, Girl, Worship the Lord and
get the 7 benefits of praising God in hard times!
Let’s worship Him NOW!
Praise God for His wonderful faithfulness! We are so blessed to serve a living God – a God that moves! Honey, I wouldn’t serve a God that would sit lifelessly in a museum, so dead he couldn’t brush off the dust that falls onto his shoulder.
A statue just won’t do!
No offense, but Jesus Christ reigns in power and excels in strength!
Regardless of what you are dealing with in your life, whatever you’re facing, be encouraged – YOUR GOD LIVES!
Think of it!
We serve a living, breathing, wondrous God that is kind, loving, patient, long-suffering, and the best news of all– He calls us…HIS! He claims us!!! He wants us!!!!
If you don’t already know Him, get to know Him.
Let me end with reminding you of the perfect Psalm@
1 Praise the LORD.
[a] Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens.
2 Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness.
3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre,
4 praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute,
5 praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.
6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD.
GLORY TO GOD!!!!
Take five deep breaths through your nose (expanding your tummy as you do), exhale slowly through your mouth, and just…WORSHIP through whatever you’re going through!!!!! He’s got you, and the benefits will sustain you!
Ok, I need a nap. Love ya!